|The view of the boatyard from the top of our mast. It's|
much higher when you're out of the water because we're blocked
up 8 feet higher than normal.
|Our naked hull|
|This rock = $1500|
Our boat projects seem to be tinged with the same feeling that nothing is going as planned. The hull seems to have dried out pretty well while we were gone. We proceeded with our plan to inject fiberglass resin into holes in the hull where some voids seemed to have developed in the kerfs of the core (fortunately, based on some core samples Matt drilled, there doesn't appear to be any delamination). After we had completed injecting resin on one side, it started to pour rain and we noticed that the vacuum pump was pulling water all of a sudden where it had previously been dry. Fortunately, it was fresh water but we had no idea of the source.
After panicking for a day (actually only I was panicking) and envisioning the havoc that would be caused by water coming into the hulls from an entirely new source, Matt tracked down the cause of the leaks. There were two drain holes for our forward lockers that had a small cracks that were connected to the core.* As it turns out, it was fortunate that it rained when it did or we would never have known to plug those leaks. I can do without the emotional ups and downs though.
|Fiberglass templates that Matt and Glenn made|
On a positive note, Matt has added yet another skill to his extensive repertoire: fiberglass repair. He did a fair amount of fiberglass patch work and worked with Glenn of Immaculate Marine for the bigger fixes. Glenn's work was top notch and Matt learned a lot from working with him. And he managed to get epoxy resin in his hair only twice. It's time for haircuts anyway.
During our 'downtime' (which is code for the plentiful rain and not an actual cessation of work), Matt has kept busy checking off the millions of other smaller, non-weather dependent projects from our list. We have our new mainsail, the trampolines have been reinstalled, the transmission has been reinstalled, the engine injectors have been removed for servicing, expanding foam has been put into the port keel (which was hollow for some unknown reason, instead of containing a foam core like the starboard keel).
|There is a 30-second window from the time you pour the|
2 components of expanding foam together to mix and pour it.
|Mark busy with a book report. He is always reading.|
Hopefully we'll get things sorted in the next couple of weeks and get back in the water. Once floating, the plan is to make it to Fiji to assist with the post-cyclone Winston relief efforts with the Sea Mercy folks.
*For other Privilege 482 owners out there, check those drain holes! Privilege did a good job of creating a round section of solid glass so the drain hole wouldn't impinge on the core BUT, in our case, they then drilled the actual hole too close to the edge where the core starts up, and a small crack developed where the two layers of glass came together, allowing water a route in to the core.